Let me shout God’s name with a praising song,
Let me tell his greatness in a prayer of thanks.
Here at Valencia UMC, music and drama enhance our worship experience every week. There is a place for everyone to participate, from children to youth to adults. No prior training is required for most of the opportunities listed below, just a heart for praising God through music and drama.
Your participation in Valencia UMC’s music and drama ministries is welcome any time of the year! Please join in as we lift our voices in praise.
Scroll down for Children’s Music, Youth Music and Drama, Chancel Bells, Chancel Choir, Praise Band, Musicians, Drama Ministry, and Special Music Events.
Children’s choirs meet from September through early June and sing in worship several times per year, for example, for the Advent Celebration, Christmas concert, Christmas Eve, Mother’s Day, Music Appreciation Sunday, and other times.
Littlest Angels Choir — 4 years through first grade
- Rehearses Sundays at 10:30 a.m. in Room 7
- Director: Michelle Marks
- Accompanist: AJ McDavid
NEW!!!! Kidzone Worship Team (formerly Sounds of Joy choir)— second through sixth grade
So we’ve changed things up a bit beginning Fall 2017! Sounds of Joy is now KidZone Worship Team and we’re pretty excited about what that means! KidZone Worship Team will be organized in sessions of three to five weeks; and content will vary with each session. Two areas will always be present in every session – learning music to present in worship and leading worship for the 10:30 a.m. Sunday school.
The sessions we have scheduled are:
Session 1 – October 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 – Choir, leading worship for 10:30 a.m. Sunday school and theater games. Learn music to be presented in worship, lead the singing at 10:30 a.m. Sunday school and participate in fun theater games with Miss Cyd.
Session 2 – November 5, 12, 19, 26, & December 3 – Choir, leading worship for 10:30 a.m. Sunday School and Advent Celebration drama. Learn music to be presented in worship, lead the singing at 10:30 a.m. Sunday school and rehearse and present a short drama at our Advent Celebration.
Session 3 – December 10, 17, 24 – Choir, leading worship for 10:30 a.m. Sunday school and Show Choir. Learn music to be presented in worship, lead the singing at 10:30 a.m. Sunday school and rehearse and present a “show choir” piece at Christmas Eve worship.
Session 4 – January 14, 21, 28, & February 4 – Choir, leading worship for 10:30 a.m. Sunday school and Choir Chimes. Learn music to be presented in worship, lead the singing at 10:30 a.m. Sunday school and learn how to play choir chimes.
Children in grades 2-6 are encouraged to sign up for all sessions, but they may also choose to do only selected sessions. Please register your child by emailing Sherry Klahs or signing up on the patio September 17 & 24.
We can’t wait to see what God will do through our KidZone Worship Team!
Questions? Please contact Sherry Klahs at email@example.com or call 255-1301.
Youth Music and Drama
Fire in the Soul — for Junior and Senior High Youth
- Rehearsals are Sundays from 11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. in the Sanctuary
- Director and accompanist: John Fairbanks
- Sing in worship several times per year, for example, for the Advent Celebration, Christmas concert, Christmas Eve, Mother’s Day, Music Appreciation Sunday, and other times
- Occasionally prepare dramas for use in worship
- Rehearse as needed on Tuesday from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. in the Choir Room
- Director: Barbara Hauge
- Participate in worship several times during the year
- Rehearses every Thursday from 7:30 to 9:00 p.m. in the Sanctuary
- Director: Steven Applegate
- Accompanist: Ann Moore
- Sings weekly for the 9 a.m. worship and on other special occasions
- Non-auditioned choir—everyone is welcome to join!
- Chancel Choir enjoys fellowship at an annual retreat in October/November and a Christmas/holiday party
- The choir also participates in local choral festivals such as the Festival of Worship at the cathedral in downtown L.A., or at NACM festivals in Orange County, Long Beach, San Fernando Valley, etc.
- Rehearses every Tuesday from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. in the Sanctuary
- interim Worship Leader: Pete Brosnan
- Leads contemporary praise music during the 10:30 a.m. worship and other special occasions
- Substitute musicians are utilized frequently and are selected from a pool of auditioned applicants. To audition for Godwilling, please contact Pete Brosnan.
The 9 a.m. music ministry uses instrumentalists occasionally to accompany anthems or for other special worship music. If you play an instrument and would like to participate in worship, please contact Steven Applegate, Director of Music Ministries.
The drama ministry participates in worship several times a year. To sign up for the drama ministry, please contact Cyd Walker.